This is a pro-regulation blog. We are not anti-mining. This is not an anti-Mandalay Resources blog.

Tuesday 21 October 2014

First Taste


a poem by Jane Harris of Costerfield
  
I first tasted environmental pollution
When I felt nauseous, giddy, dizzy, “foggy headed” and tasted a metallic taste that lingered in my mouth for 3 weeks

I first tasted environmental pollution
When the mining company, when government agencies like the EPA, DSDBI, and when the Department of Health representatives denied that there was “dust coming from the mine crusher”

I first tasted environmental pollution
When my urine antimony and arsenic level showed elevated levels

I first tasted environmental pollution
When my colleagues ridiculed me and gave me the “silent treatment”

I first tasted environmental pollution
When visitors from Sydney complained of a metallic taste in their mouth

I first tasted environmental pollution
When the Department of Health declared there are “no immediate health risks”

I first tasted environmental pollution
When the Department of Health issued a statement that the mining company will minimise and control the dust coming out from the mine crusher and yet dust plume from the mine is still grossly visible

I first tasted environmental pollution
When the mining company hired and paid an “independent testing” company to measure tank water and soil and stated that the amount of antimony in the community is due to past mining activities and nature. And yet the current mining operation of Mandalay Resources is not properly regulated

I first tasted environmental pollution
When Golder Associates stated on their report that the tolerable daily intake of antimony according to WHO is 6µg/kg/day when in fact WHO was talking about a completely different form of antimony V (antimony oxo–anion found in the metal fittings and plumbing used to deliver water to your tap)

I first tasted environmental pollution
When the community was divided into supporters of pro regulated & responsible mining activities versus pro-mining activities in the name of job creation

I first tasted environmental pollution
When an autopsy disclosed heavy metals (cadmium, antimony, arsenic and lead) in their muscles, liver, kidneys and lungs of Costerfield lambs

I first tasted environmental pollution
When a group of solicitors from Melbourne advised the community that Victoria has no class action laws and that Victorians have no rights to class action against polluters due to Mining Act

I first tasted environmental pollution
When some urine test results were declared invalid by the Department of Health because Dorevitch Pathology used a “brown top tube” thus contaminating the samples and still nobody is claiming responsibility for this particular mistake 

I first tasted environmental pollution
When the Department of Health informed me that all miners being tested for urine antimony are showing high levels but that that’s not a Department of Health problem

I first tasted environmental pollution
When a toxicologist stated that the heavy metals in the lambs will not be present in humans because lambs have a different physiology and anatomy to humans

I first tasted environmental pollution
When I learnt somebody had high levels of antimony in their urine and blood 

I first tasted environmental pollution
When I knew that mining companies will continue and extend their drilling into other towns

I first tasted environmental pollution
When members of the community accused us of just wanting money from the mining company

For those who are living in mining communities, we in Costerfield, Victoria, Australia, have tasted what you all taste – environmental pollution!

We have experienced environmental pollution firsthand and the government has dismissed our experience and nobody believes it!

Are you going to wait for your first taste of environmental pollution?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be civilised and rational... rants and abuse will be moderated out of existence.